Antique Gold Seal Graces Taupe Silk Band Necklace
- The shape of this antique Georgian seal, (gold plated on brass, possibly Pinchbeck) is wonderfully ornate. But it was the delightful carnelian intaglio of a “gentleman” which transported me to Jane Austin. The seal is 3 inches long (7.5 cm), 1 inch wide (2.5 cm) and 20 mm deep.
- Above it is a vintage (now rare) handmade 18 CT gold on silver on hardened resin bead (16 mm). This was a traditionally made bead from Afghanistan, using techniques learned from when Alexander the Great’s craftsmen came to Afghanistan in 330 BC.
- Lastly, a vintage, carved carnelian melon bead (1 mm ) from Afghanistan completes the design.
- The pendant and beads hang on a handmade taupe silk/polyester band. The band’s clasp consists of a jade bead which fits into one of two stretchable silk rings, enabling the wearer to vary the length. My silver label is attached at the ring.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace measures 45.5 cm (18") round with a 6.5cm (2 1/2") pendant drop