Chic Necklace of Smoky Quartz & Gold with Antique Gold Citrine Pendant
- A rich brown, natural smoky quartz complements an antique Victorian, natural, whiskey coloured citrine in a 9K gold, swivel fob.
- The 9K gold Victorian swivel fob is embossed with interesting detail and the frame is embellished with S curves on either side of a gold ball. The citrine swivels and is partly faceted. It shows wear at the flat bottom of the stone, in keeping with its age. It is 2.5 cm long x 4 cm wide x 22.4 mm at the widest part of the stone.
- Frequently worn by men as an indication of wealth, these fobs often included a seal for a family crest or monogram. This would then be used on heated sealing wax, to be stamped on documents or envelopes. They were also left blank, as was this fob, so that the owner could add his own crest.
- On either side of the fob, there are two large antique, etched 18K gold disc shaped beads. These are rare, handmade beads from Afghanistan. They are18.5 mm x 11mm. Using their traditional techniques, the Afghani have been crafting gold for centuries. When Alexander the Great came to Afghanistan, his people brought many skills, one of which was working in gold. Like the Romans, centuries later, a yellow, 18 K gold was used. But one of the techniques used was to take sheet gold and work it onto hardened resin and then decorate it accordingly. For me, this handiwork and the yellow gold colour, gives the necklace warmth and character and complements the gems.
- There are also six, handmade, vintage, 18K gold on brass, on hardened resin beads, from Afghanistan. They are 15.5 mm.
- The faceted smoky quartz cylinders are a warm brown, full of crystalline inclusions. There are no cracks or chips. This is the natural stone, exhibiting its formations. They measure 16.7 mm x 20 mm.
- A vermeil toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 46 cm (18") with a 2.5 cm (1") pendant drop.