Light Carnelian & Gold Necklace Complements Antique Cameo
- This cameo certainly has the Georgian stamp on it. To be more specific, Regency, around 1810. The carved cameo of a woman in profile, wearing a wrapped scarf above her hairline, and another scarf draped from the top of her head, along the side, partially covering her ear, hair and gown. It is a fashion worn by well-heeled ladies of the Regency period. The carver has utilized the dark peach tones of the shell to create a striped pattern on the scarf and on her dress. Her hair has been swept back in a loose ponytail, which is another Regency style. Her features are finely carved.
- The cameo has been set in a two-toned, rolled gold or Pinchbeck metal. The setting is again classically late Georgian, with its use of scallop shells and acanthus leaves. The pendant, which was once a brooch, now altered to a pendant, measures 5 cm wide and 4 cm high. Although this is not actually gold, the quality of the piece is superb, and charming.
- I have created a necklace to complement both the period and the pendant, using panels of a natural, peach coloured carnelian (16 mm x 12 mm), interspersed with vintage, handmade 18K gold, on silver, on hardened resin beads, made in Afghanistan. At 8.6 mm. these beads are now rare. Using their traditional technique the Afghani have been crafting gold for centuries. When Alexander the Great came to Afghanistan, his people brought many skills, one of which was working in gold. Like the Romans, centuries later, a yellow, 18 K gold was used. But one of the techniques was to take sheet gold and work it onto hardened resin and then decorate it accordingly. For me, this handiwork and the yellow gold colour gives the necklace warmth and character and complements the gems. The colour of the gold is also soft, lending itself naturally to the pendant and the Regency period.
- I have used a vermeil toggle clasp. Toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 44 cm (17 1/2").