Long Tan Silk Chain with Jade Dog & Multi Jade Beads
- How can one resist this reclining dog, a vintage natural nephrite jade carving which is full of life. With his ribs visible (he clearly needs a good meal), his floppy ears drooping over his front paws, his back leg busily scratching one ear and his mouth biting at his long tail, this is dog that could stand up at any moment and start chasing a squirrel. He is a light golden colour jade with tan markings (on the ears, eyes, tail and spine), and is 6 cm long, 3.5 cm wide and 19 mm deep at the thickest part of the dog.
- He is the eleventh animal in the Chinese Zodiac. For the Chinese, the dog is an emblem of loyalty, honesty and love. They also symbolize luck because they protect humans from danger, which is why they bark. Ancient people believed that they could predict good or bad luck according to the different times of the day that they barked.
- Above him, there is a vintage, natural tan coloured, nephrite jade Bi disc, which has been etched with coils. The Bi disc for the Chinese, is an important emblem of harmony and long life. In ancient days, the Bi disc was often placed in the tomb to give such attributes to the deceased. Later, those same aspects could be passed onto the owner of the Bi disc, whether worn as a pendant or simply collected. As for the pattern of coils, they are intended to recall the sacred dragon, who is both a symbol of the Emperor, and the universal source of energy, known as “chi”. It is 3.5 cm across.
- The third piece of vintage jade is a golden, almost translucent bead (14 mm), carved in a swirl pattern.
- In between the jade pieces, I have used the wonderful Karen hill tribe silver, which is handmade, using 98% pure silver, and made like a mini sculpture. The two etched middle silver beads are 7 mm, and the top woven silver bead is 9.7 mm. Sterling silver beads (4 mm) are used as spacers.
- All the elements hang on a handmade toffee coloured silk/polyester chain, and on one of the rings hangs my silver name label.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 18 inches (46 cm).