Mouth Watering Aquamarine & Gold Necklace
- This is quite a rich, show-stopping necklace that is yes, eye catching, yet quite simple and easy to wear. I did make this to begin with, using large stones and larger gold beads, but I felt it was just too heavy to wear. This is quite comfortable. And the colour of yellow gold with aquamarine creates an almost ancient Roman effect. A sort of “Ah” moment that speaks volumes as a necklace.
- These cylinders of natural aquamarine have been faceted. Some are a slightly cloudy, some are more translucent. But they are all in a very beautiful aqua blue. Aquamarine can be quite pale. These are not! They vary in size from 24.5 mm x 19.5 mm down to 11.8 mm x 10 mm.
- Aquamarine is the birthstone of March. The gemstone aquamarine is a blue/green member of the Beryl family (while emerald is a green member). Its name comes from the Latin word aqua, meaning water of the sea, as the crystal stone resembles the sparkling colour of water in the Mediterranean. This gemstone is mined mainly in Brazil, but can also be found in Nigeria, Madagascar, Pakistan and Mozambique.
- I have interspersed 18K, antique gold beads, made in Afghanistan, using their traditional techniques. These are quite rare beads. The central gold bead is 21.9 mm and has been hammered to form a pattern. The two following gold beads (13.5 mm) have been gadrooned in a melon shape. The remaining two gold beads (12.6 mm) have been etched and added with a hint of red to bring out the design. The last two vintage Afghan beads (8.9 mm) are gold on silver on hardened resin.
- The Afghani have been crafting gold for centuries. When Alexander the Great came to Afghanistan, his people brought many skills, one of which was working in gold. Like the Romans, centuries later, a yellow, 18K gold was used. But one of the techniques was to take sheet gold and work it onto hardened resin and then decorate it accordingly. For me, this handiwork and yellow gold colour gives the necklace warmth and character and complements the gems.
- The clasp is a 14K gold toggle clasp. I prefer using toggle clasps because they are easy to use and quite secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 41.5 cm (16 1/2").