Red Lacquer Elephant Graces Lapis, Coral Multi Strand Necklace
- Elephants are always appealing, and this charmer is no different. The Chinese carved cinnabar elephant is an antique piece possibly from the 1920’s, with a few Art Deco designs on its saddle blanket. It is made of cinnabar lacquer which has been carved. It is etched over brass and embellished with charming cloisonné enamel in reds, turquoise and blue. It measures 2 inches across (5 cm), 1 1/4 inches high (3 cm), and 13 mm deep.
- The pendant hangs on two, 3 mm natural lapis beads which embrace all five strands of beads.
- The natural lapis beads are 3mm x 10mm with lapis discs in between.
- The natural carnelian bamboo shaped beads are 11 mm x 7 mm.
- The quartz button beads are 4 mm.
- All 5 strands feed into vintage, lost wax brass beads (10 mm) from West Africa.
- A 14ct gold vermeil toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklaces come, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 43 cm (17") long with a 3 cm (l1 1/2") pendant drop.