Silk Band Necklace with Carved Tan & Green Jade Pendant
- On a handmade silk/polyester band in a khaki colour, hangs a well carved natural Burmese jade pendant in which the craftsman has utilized the two contrasting colours of stone, the caramel and celadon tones. The carving illustrates a mythical beast, or 'Qilin', crawling his way through lotus pods. The pods symbolize purity, perfection and fruitfulness, which the qilin hopes to possess.
- Above and below the pendant are two vintage, traditionally crafted, 18ct gold on silver on hardened resin beads (7mm). These are made in Afghanistan, based on ancient techniques learned from the Greeks. Even with a tiny size, the artisan has taken the trouble to etch and gadroon these beads. I love the warmth of the yellow gold as well as the attention to detail in this work.
- Just below the band is a natural, apple green Burma jade bead (9mm) and hanging at the bottom is a faceted teardrop of heat treated chalcedony (13mm).
- The clasp is a 14ct gold on silver toggle clasp. I prefer using toggle clasps because they are easy to use and quite secure.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour coordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 17 3/4 inches long with a 3 1/4 inch pendant drop.