Soft Blue Sodalite Double Strand Necklace with Carved Tan Jade Dragon Disc
- The substantial, somewhat calcified, antique, nephrite jade Bi disc has a deeply carved, lively dragon on its surface. It appears to whirl around as though it were dancing. There is also a lovely patina to the jade. On the flip side of the disc, there is a decoration almost like hearts, although I am certain that is not the design. The jade disc measures 2 inches (5 c m) in diameter and 11 mm deep.
- The dragon, important in Chinese culture, symbolizes the Emperor and his power and playfulness. But it also stands for the universal source of energy, known as “Chi”. The Bi disc is an emblem of longevity and harmony.
- The pendant hangs on 2 strands of 3 mm lapis beads, which hang on two strands of knobbly, natural blue sodalite beads. These beads, which are bone shaped and are 15 mm long, vary in pattern and colour, according to the colours of sodalite itself.
- The strands feed into large rhodium silver beads (22 mm) from South Korea.
- A handmade, sterling silver toggle clasp, has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 42 cm (16 1/2") long with a 5 cm (2") pendant drop.