Statement Necklace of Antique Turquoise, White Jade, Brass & Bone
- This is a necklace where nothing matches. Each element is unique to itself and yet it all comes together in a harmonious, interesting necklace.
- I need to start my descriptions from one end leading to the other end.
- An antique carved bone cylinder from India (19 mm) is separated from the next bead by a vintage Chinese brass coin (23 mm). That next bead is a hand carved magnesite bead (22.5 mm) which is separated by a bone cylinder (26 mm).
- The next bead is an antique carved wood bead (26.5 mm) from Nepal, decorated with partial gold leaf.
- An amazonite cylinder (23 mm) separates a large, vintage, carved white nephrite jade bead (24 mm).
- Three bone cylinders (26 mm) flank the hand-blown, swirl glass bead (27 mm) from China.
- A rather special, antique Chinese turquoise bead (26.3 mm)continues the design.
- This is followed by a vintage, handmade brass bead from Turkestan (23 mm), leading to an amazonite cylinder (23 mm) next to an antique Victorian, polished bone bead (22 mm).
- Finally, another vintage Chinese coin cordons off a natural turquoise quartz bead (10 mm).
- The craftsman who carved the magnesite bead, created a wonderful texture and colouration. Magnesite is a mineral, magnesium carbonate, that has the same crystal structure as calcite. Its natural colour is cream and when carved and polished it features a dark web of veins or web-like matrix across its surface. This makes it an attractive gem to use. It is often dyed to a turquoise colour, which is completely stable.
- The very name “amazonite” conjures up images of jungles and exotic waters. And amazonite does indeed originate from the Amazon area. This green/blue stone is a microcline feldspar variety of mineral and it is often known as Amazon Jade.
- I have then knotted the silk/polyester cord with the traditional Chinese “flat knot” as well as the “button knot”. This is not only a classical Chinese technique, but it lightens the necklace and makes it quite comfortable to wear. It also sets off the design.
- I have used a vermeil toggle clasp. Toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 20 1/2 inches long (52 cm)