Stylish, Delicate, Double Strand Lapis Necklace with Gold Lapis Pendant
- This elegant, vintage pendant, of a brilliant blue lapis, set in 9K gold and surrounded by zircons is from the 1970’s. The oval pendant is 2.5 cm long by 18 mm wide and 6.8 mm deep. It hangs on its own zircon bail.
- At the centre of the necklace, above the pendant, there are two, vintage, handmade 18K gold on hardened resin beads (5.6 mm) from Afghanistan. These are (rare)beads, which used the traditional Afghan techniques. They are made by the ancient Afghan craft of taking sheet metal and moulding it over hardened resin, a technique handed down through the craftsmen of Alexander the Great. Their handiwork and the yellow gold colour gives the necklace warmth and character and complements the gems.
- Two strands of a good, natural, royal blue lapis bead (4.5 mm) feed into two small vintage, handmade, Afghan, gold on brass on hardened resin beads (3.5 mm).
- Lapis lazuli has always been a sought after stone. Its deep, celestial blue remains the symbol of royalty and honour, gods and power, spirit and vision. It is a universal symbol of wisdom and truth. In ancient times Lapis lazuli was most highly regarded because of its beautiful colour and the valuable ultramarine dye derived from it. Its name comes from the Latin lapis, "stone," and the Persian lazhuward, "blue." It is rock formed by multiple minerals, mostly Lazurite, Sodalite, Calcite and Pyrite, and is a rich medium to royal blue with gold flecks (pyrites). Lower-grade Lapis is lighter blue with more white than gold flecks, and is sometimes called denim Lapis.
- A vermeil toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 42 cm (16 1/2") with a 3 cm (1 1/4")pendant drop.