Delicate Garnet & Green Aventurine Necklace with Antique Gold Pendant
- I was enchanted by this delicate antique Art Nouveau brooch, circa 1890-1910, which I altered to a pendant to be worn on the side of the necklace. As a brooch, it was lost. As a pendant, it has a new importance. It is a 10K gold oval, slightly curved, decorated with soft green enamel leaves, and set with two tiny seed pearls and a garnet in the centre. It is 11/2 inches long (3.5 mm) by 1 cm wide.
- I have tried to create a necklace that would reflect the charm and lightness of the brooch and its detail by braiding a strand of pink, faceted, natural garnets (3 mm) with two strands of soft celadon coloured natural aventurine beads, also 3 mm.
- To set off the antique piece on either side of the pendant are two vintage, handmade 18K gold on hardened resin beads (6 mm) from Afghanistan, and two tiny natural cultured freshwater pearls (4 mm) to echo the seed pearls in the pendant.
- A gold on silver toggle clasp has been chosen because they are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with it's own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 20 1/2 inches long (52 cm)