- This is a necklace that will draw conversations. It is full of interest, rich in colour and varied in texture.
- At the centre of this fascinating mixture of cultures is the antique carnelian bead from Afghanistan. Its age is difficult to assess, but it is quite likely to be fairly ancient. It is full of a wonderful pattern, which only nature could have created. It is 1.75” L (4.5cm) x 1.25” W (3cm) x 25mm thick.
- It is bordered by two discs of turquoise (18mm) from China
- Followed by two large (23mm) antique, handmade, 18ct gold, on silver, on hardened resin beads from Afghanistan. These were created by artisans who learned their complex techniques from the Greeks who originally accompanied Alexander the Great in 350 BC
- Thin turquoise, sliver discs punctuate the necklace
- Next in line are four (two on each side), vintage, amber resin discs from Tibet. In a rich, mottled, burnt orange colour, they are uneven in shape (23mm W). These would originally have been part of a string of beads, used as prayer beads in Tibet.
- The Four striped, pecan coloured beads (22mm) are vintage, and made of cow horn; they are known as “camel teeth” and were made in Burkina Faso, West Africa.
- On either side of the necklace, there are two, large, (34mm) vintage segmented beads, from Tibet. These are made of brass, which have been inlaid with coral and turquoise.
- The two openwork brass beads (25mm) are from West Africa. These are handmade brass, using the lost wax technique of casting. The craftsman who made these, would have been members of the Baoule tribe, who were prolific producers of brass charms and ornaments. The Baoule are the original descendants of the Ashanti tribes of Ghana.
- Four vintage, toffee coloured discs (15mm) are made of cow bone from China.
- And lastly, two small, (9mm) vintage, Afghan beads, are made in the same process as the larger Afghan gold beads.
- A 14ct gold vermeil toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklaces come, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 18.5” long (47cm).
A Bold and Rich Necklace of many Cultures and Elements