Art Nouveau Horn Dragonfly with Crystal, Horn & Silver
- This necklace sits like a classical band on the neck, chic and understated, but with huge interest and texture.
- At the centre of the necklace, hovers an antique, Art Nouveau, French, horn dragonfly, with its wings spread from side to side and its long, slender body curling to one side. It is 6 cm across, by 2 cm high. It was originally a brooch which I had altered to a pendant. The Art Nouveau era loved natural, organic forms, and this dragonfly was no exception.
- The dragonfly in most parts of the world symbolizes change, often in the form of self- realization. The change has to do with mental and emotional maturity.
- The wings dip into two, handmade, fair trade silver beads, (15.8 mm) created by the Karen hill tribes in Thailand. Karen hill tribe Fair Trade silver is nearly 98% pure silver. I mostly choose to use their silver because each piece is like a miniature bit of sculpture, individually crafted and created. I know that artisans in Northern Thailand produce this unique silversmithing in small villages, involving whole families in the process. Their work is fairly paid, and as a result, their beads are much more expensive but a family is supported and wonderful beads and jewellery are produced in high quality silver.
- Rough-cut rock crystal cylinders (20.5 mm x 15.8 mm) are punctuated by natural horn beads (14 mm) and brushed sterling silver hoops (14 mm) from India. The rock crystal has been left a mat (rather than polished) finish, and the stone carvers have allowed the inclusions and imperfections of the crystal to remain. They are not chipped or imperfect stones. I have chosen these to complement the organic feel of the Art Nouveau and the naturalism of the horn dragonfly.
- A silver toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp. The clasp has also been made by the Karen hill tribes, of twisted silver to create a rope design.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 44 cm (17 1/4").