Bold Necklace of Large Red Coral, Silver & Black Jade Disc
- This is once again, a “statement” necklace. It is a wow piece of jewellery, a head-turner.
- It’s those large cranberry red bamboo coral beads (27 mm), contrasted with the carved, black, natural nephrite jade, Bi disc and the dazzle of the traditional handmade silver on hardened resin beads from Afghanistan, that makes the necklace a show stopper.
- It is not a light necklace to wear, but the Chinese knotting lessens the weight and makes it more comfortable to wear. And once on, the weight is not noticeable.
- The Bi disc is important to the Chinese because it is a symbol of harmony and long life. It is 2 3/4 inches across (7 cm) and 12 mm deep.
- The two silver Afghanistan beads (24 mm) are octagonal in shape. The Afghan craftsman has taken sheet silver and moulded it around a hardened resin shape.
- The bamboo coral is dyed (and sealed). The dyed coral has been injected with a dye that completely colours the white natural coral.
- I have then knotted the silk/polyester cord with the traditional Chinese “flat knot” as well as the “button knot”. This is a classical Chinese technique.
- A silver toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp. The clasp has been made by the Karen hill tribes, of twisted silver to create a rope design.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with it's own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 19 inches long (48 cm) with a 2 1/4 inch pendant drop (6 cm)