Braided Silk Band Necklace with Agate & Jade Pendant
- Hanging on a hand-knotted toffee-coloured cord band, made of silk and polyester, is a natural, wonderfully shaped, agate crystal geode, held by vermeil brackets. At 5 cm long and 3 cm wide, this handsome specimen is banded in natural tones of toffee and caramel. Within the stone, there are natural crystals that sparkle.
- Agate is a banded form of finely-grained Quartz, with banding patterns and a translucence that is unique to each agate. A geode is a small cavity in a rock, lined with crystals.
- Above the agate, which hangs on its own vermeil bale, is a natural jadeite cylinder (15.3 mm) and a natural, green aventurine cylinder (14.6 mm).
- In between the green beads is a handmade, vintage bead (17.5 mm). This is from Afghanistan and is made of 18K gold on brass on hardened resin, using the traditional Afghan techniques, which consisted of taking sheet metal and moulding it over hardened resin, a technique handed down through the craftsmen of Alexander the Great in 330 BC
- The necklace is fastened by strong cord loops which fits securely over a large cord button knot. My silver name label is attached at the loops.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 44 cm (17 1/2") with a 10 cm (4")pendant drop.