Classic Malachite/Azurite Cubes, Lapis & Gold Necklace
- This is a rich, elegant necklace that can go anywhere.
- Sometimes I am bowled over by the beauty of a stone. These cubes (11mm) of natural azurite and malachite did exactly that for me. As you can see, each cube has a complex pattern of vivid, luxurious colour, in deep emeralds and royal blues. This is simply the natural habit of this stone.
- To bring out the blues in this stone, I have added natural, brilliant blue lapis discs (11 mm) which sit in between the cubes.
- To give further richness, I have added handmade, vintage, traditional Afghan melon beads (14 mm), created using 18ct gold on silver on hardened resin, a technique learned from the craftsmen who came to Afghanistan in 330 BC with Alexander the Great. This gives the necklace a classical Roman profile.
- A 14ct gold vermeil toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 47 cm long (18 1/2").