Double Strand Necklace of Antique Crystal & Gold
- This is a subtle statement necklace. It looks wonderful for summer or with a black dress. Originally, I made it to be tighter, almost a choker so that it creates a turtle-neck effect. But I concluded that it might be more comfortable just a bit looser. But if anyone wants it tighter, I can alter it easily with less rings at the back.
- This two-strand necklace is made up of wonderful, antique Tibetan, carved Himalayan crystal, melon beads. Unlike new crystal beads, these create a cloudy, soft effect. Each bead is slightly different in size (roughly 18 mm wide by 25.8 mm long). Each oval shaped bead has been hand-carved, making gentle ridges along the length. Most of the beads have crystal inclusions within; some are cloudy, others are translucent.
- I have placed four, vintage, handmade Afghan beads (15.7 mm), one on each strand and one on each end. These are 18K gold on brass on hardened resin, using the traditional Afghan techniques. These are made by the ancient Afghan craft of taking sheet metal and moulding it over hardened resin, a technique handed down through the craftsmen of Alexander the Great.
- A vermeil toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 42 cm (16 1/2").