Dramatic Black & White Necklace with Jade Guitar Pendant, Jet & Silver
- This vintage piece of well carved nephrite jade in a celadon colour is of a Chinese guitar (2 1/2 inches long, 6.5 cm by 1 1/4 inches, or 2 cm wide). It is a charming piece with the strings clearly visible and with its unique, carved handle.
- It hangs on a chic necklace of mat black, jet carved cylinders (20 mm long x 14.8 mm wide). Also in mat black are onyx beads, at 14 mm and 7 mm.
- Jet is a type of lignite, a precursor to coal, and is a gemstone. Jet is not a mineral but is a mineraloid. It has an organic origin, coming from decaying wood under extreme pressure.
- At the front of the necklace there are 2 carved vintage nephrite jade beads (13.6 mm), again in celadon, which reflect the guitar’s colour.
- The silver beads are from two different sources. The brushed silver cylinders are from India (13.8 mm). The 4 different woven silver beads are made by the Karen hill tribes in Thailand. The first two are woven cylinders 13 mm. by 9 mm. The two woven barrels are 13.9mm x 16.5 mm.
- Karen hill tribe Fair Trade silver is nearly 98% pure silver. I mostly choose to use their silver because each piece is like a miniature bit of sculpture, individually crafted and created. I know that artisans in Northern Thailand produce this unique silversmithing in small villages, involving whole families in the process. Their work is fairly paid, and as a result, their beads are much more expensive. But a family is supported and wonderful beads and jewellery are produced in high quality silver.
- I have used a silver toggle clasp made by the Karen hill tribes, of twisted silver to create a rope design. Toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with it's own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 18 inches long (46 cm) with a 2 3/4 inch pendant drop.