Elegant Dark Grey Pearl Necklace with Tourmaline Quartz Pendant
- It’s that large sparkling, oval tourmaline quartz, set against the petrol coloured baroque pearls and the zing of cranberry bamboo coral that makes this an eye catching necklace.
- The tourmaline quartz is set in sterling silver, but made in Jaipur, India, so there is no mark. But it’s all very solid and the jewellers in Jaipur are noted for their amazing craftsmanship. The oval is 22.6 mm long x 13 mm wide and 3.6 mm deep. Tourmaline or tourmilated quartz is a special quartz with black rutiles within.
- The two carved bamboo coral melons are dyed coral (sealed)(12 mm).
- The baroque cultured freshwater pearls in the petrol colour are also dyed. The pearls are 13 mm.
- Dyed pearls, which most pearls are, come about through a number of techniques. The one I know, through someone who has a pearl farm in China, is one in which the pearls are placed for a month or more in a container with a liquid saturated with a powder dye. Electrodes gently move the pearls about so that they are evenly coloured. Although people say the colour can fade, I have been working (and wearing) dyed pearls for many years. As long as you don't spray perfume or hairspray onto the pearls, the colour remains. None of my pearls have faded.
- I have used a silver toggle clasp because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with it's own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 18 1/2 inches long (47 cm) with a 1 1/2 inch pendant drop.