Multi-Strand Grey Pearls & Coral Necklace with White Jade Thumb Guard
- This vintage, natural, white jade, Chinese archer’s thumb guard, has been deeply carved, all the way through to the other side. It clearly has two layers of leafy decoration.
- For the Chinese, the thumb guard is a status symbol because it implies the status of a scholar or a gentleman, capable of mastering the sport of archery. The jade thumb guard is 1 inch wide and 1 inch in diameter (2.5 cm x 2.5 cm).
- The guard slides along a multi-strand necklace of grey and petrol toned cultured, freshwater pearls and coral. There are 14 strands
- The pearls vary in size and shape. Some are stick pearls (3 mm), some are round (6 mm) and most are quite baroque(5mm). The coral is in the shape of cylinders (3 mm).
- The 14 strands meet up in handmade, fair trade ribbed sterling silver beads (16 mm), made by the Karen hill tribes in Thailand.
- A sterling silver toggle clasp, which has also been made by the Karen hill tribes, of twisted silver wire, has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 43 cm long (17").