Flattering Turquoise Necklace with Antique Gold Panels
- Turquoise is always flattering, at any time of year. These particular, natural turquoise slices are a brilliant turquoise colour…quite frankly, the best turquoise in quality. Each slice varies in shape and size, but roughly, they measure 3 cm wide, 2.5 cm high and 5 mm in depth.
- I have combined these wonderful pieces of turquoise with three very special, vintage vermeil panels, made in Afghanistan. The outer two have been etched with butterfly. Tiny turquoise beads have been inlaid into the butterfly’s wings. Tiny translucent, carnelian beads have also been inlaid onto all four corners of each panel.
- In the centre of the central panel, there are two oval cabochons of turquoise. But the central panel has also been enhanced by ten, tiny translucent carnelian beads. These panels have also been etched, and made with delicate coils. Each panel is 2.5 cm long, 12.5 mm high and 5 mm in depth.
- Two 18K gold on hardened wax beads (13.8 mm) enrich the necklace. These are rare beads, made in Afghanistan using the ancient techniques, learned from the Greeks who occupied Afghanistan in 330 BC.
- Ten vermeil beads (5.5 mm) are used as spacers to ensure the elements hang well.
- At the end of the necklace, there are two carved turquoise beads (9 mm).
- The clasp is a 14K gold toggle clasp. I prefer using toggle clasps because they are easy to use and quite secure. My silver name label is attached to at the clasp.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- Length 46 cm (18").