Long Grey Silk Chain with Jade, Brass & Peking Glass
- This is a classic, traditional Chinese colouring of celadons, contrasted with rose pink, gold and sage.
- The handmade silk/polyester chain, on which my silver label is attached, carries a number of elements.
- The vintage, celadon jade pendant is in fact a dragon swirled around like a medieval S shaped letter, bordered by two bats on the side. The pendant is carved through so that it is the same on the reverse side. The dragon, important in Chinese culture, symbolizes the Emperor and his power and playfulness. But it also stands for the universal source of energy, known as “Chi”. Two bats are an emblem of prosperity and joy. The pendant measures 2 inches (5cm) long by 1 1/2 inches wide (4 cm) and 6.5 mm deep.
- Above the pendant sits an antique celadon jade bead carved in the shape of a lotus flower, emblem of purity and rebirth. It is 14 x 14.5 mm.
- Beautiful, translucent apatite nuggets are dispersed on the necklace. Apatite is a lustrous semi-precious stone.
- An antique Peking glass bead (17.5 mm long x 13.5 mm wide) in a deep rose pink (a traditional Chinese colour), is bordered by two vintage, lost wax brass bead (12.5 mm x 10.5 mm) from West Africa. These beads are crafted in an open work trellis design.
- Lastly there is a celadon jadeite bead (10.5 mm).
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace measures 47 cm (18 1/2"), which includes a 14cm ( 5 1/2") pendant drop