Blue & White Theme Necklace with Lapis, Pottery & Silver
- This is just an easy necklace to wear informally or otherwise. The blue and white theme goes so well with denim and a white shirt or T-shirt.
- The large, handmade vintage, traditionally crafted silver beads (24 mm) are octagonal in shape, and made in Afghanistan. These beads are like the gold Afghan beads, which are crafted in the same manner, taking sheets of pure silver and forming them over hardened resin, a technique the Afghans have perfected over centuries.
- The substantial Chinese porcelain beads (28 mm) are painted in a cobalt and white basket-weave design, and then fired in a kiln.
- Each element is separated by slivers of natural lapis (18.5 mm).
- I have then knotted the silk/polyester cord with the traditional Chinese “flat knot” as well as the “button knot”. This is not only a classical Chinese technique, but it lightens the necklace and makes it quite comfortable to wear. It also sets off the design.
- A silver toggle clasp has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp. The clasp has been made by the Karen hill tribes, of twisted silver to create a rope design.
- The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
- The necklace is 19 inches long (48 cm).